TWD: Thanksgiving Twofer Pie


I had some leftover crust from the banana cream pie (I will post the recipe for this later in the week) that I made for Thanksgiving so I decided to make two small pie shells and stick them in the fridge for later. I knew that I needed to make the twofer pie but when it came time to make it I decided that I just wanted pecan pie. So I decided just to use the pecan pie part of the recipe minus the cinnamon. I'm not sure if this counts or not but that's ok. The amount the recipe made was just enough for my two little pies.

Good for Almost Anything Pie Dough
Makes a 9-inch single crust

1 1/2 cups AP flour
2 tablespoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 sticks (10 tablespoons) very cold or frozen unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon-size pieces
2 1/2 tablespoons very cold or frozen vegetable shortening, cut into 2 pieces
About 1/4 cup ice water

Mix the flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Drop in the butter and shortening. Using a pastry cutter, incorporate the butter and shortening until the flour mixture resembles course crumbles. It's ok the have larger and smaller pieces. You can also do this with a food processor if you have one.

Gradually add about 3 tablespoons of water to the flour mixture. If the dough doesn't look moist enough add more water until the dough will stick together when pinched. Form the dough into a ball and wrap in plastic. You will need to refrigerate it for at least an hour before you can roll it out.

Once refrigerated roll out your dough to your desired thickness on a lightly floured surface. Place in your pie pan and refrigerate until ready to use.


Pecan Pie

1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup pecan halves or pieces

Preheat oven the 450 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, with a whisk, beat all of the ingredients except the pecans together until smooth.

Sprinkle the chilled pie crust with the pecans. I used about 1/2 cup in each pie. Pour the filling mixture over the pecans. Use your finger to poke down any pecans that float to the top and aren't covered with the filling.


Bake for 10 minutes then reduce the heat to 300 degrees F and bake the pie for an additional 20 to 25 minutes or until the center is set. If your pie starts getting too brown then cover it with foil until it's finished baking.


Allow pie to cool and enjoy! Check out what other bakers have done this week.

Comments

Jennifer said…
YUM you are sooo creative!
vibi said…
Thank you so much Amy, for participating with me this week! I'm glad the pie turned out so well! BRAVO!
Nazarina A said…
I love your crimping style and the pie looks yummy!!!

Popular Posts