TWD: Rugelach


This is my very first Tuesdays with Dorie post. I've been going back and fourth about whether I wanted to join or not. I got the book and was still debating about it. But then when I found out that after the end of October they wouldn't be accepting new members, I decided that it was time to join. Just in time for one of my favorite cookies ever!

This week's pick was made by Grace from Piggy's Cooking Journal. If you want the full recipe go visit Grace. What a great pick! I haven't made these cookies in a while and it was nice to revisit them. I left out the chocolate and dried fruit because I prefer them with just the jam and nuts. These turned out really good. Maybe even better than when I had made them before. It might have to do with the fact that this time I sprinkled them with turbinado sugar..........

If you've never made these before I would highly recommend them! They aren't as difficult to make as they seem. I usually like to make the dough the day before because it needs to chill. I just find it easier rather than having to wait a few hours for the dough to harden up. I decided to double the dough because I love them that much!

I used raspberry jam, toasted pecans and cinnamon sugar for the filling. I always have a jar of cinnamon sugar on hand. I never buy the pre-made kind because it's so simple to make yourself and much cheaper. I like having the cinnamon sugar in a spice jar because it makes it so much easier to sprinkle it on whatever you need.
The dough is really simple to make. All you need is three ingredients!


Just mix together the butter and cream cheese.


Then add your flour.

Mix until completely incorporated.


Divide into 3 pieces and wrap in plastic wrap.


Place in the fridge 2 hours or overnight.


For the filling this is what you will need:
Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface.

I like to brush off any excess flour with a pastry brush.

Spread on a thin layer of jam and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.


Sprinkle a layer of the chopped nuts.


Cut into quarters and each quarter into quarters. I've always used a pizza cutter for this. I find that it's the easiest way to cut it.
Roll from the biggest end until you get to the point.
Place the point side down on the tray.


Once you have rolled all the rugelach brush them with an egg wash and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or turbinado sugar.
Bake until golden brown. Mine took longer than the recommended time. I just left them in there until they were cooked in the middle.
Enjoy and don't forget to check out what other bakers have done!

Comments

Jennifer said…
I have never heard of these cookies or eaten them! You make it look easy and delicious. It is pretty chilly here in Portland as well today!
RecipeGirl said…
Looks delicious... I have yet to try rugelach!
Pam said…
Can I have some? These looks so delicious. I could eat way too many of these beauties.
Anonymous said…
Your rugelach are beautiful! Welcome to TWD - this was my first recipe with the group too!
Anonymous said…
OOOoooh . . . yes, I definitely want a bite.

And that is from a PROFESSIONAL CHEF who graduated from Peter Kump's Culinary Institute in Brooklyn, New York, and who is now the SENIOR ADVISER for Ed Levine's SeriousEats website!

My boyfriend "BigBear" just loves rugelach.

Thank you so much!
Melissa said…
Welcome to Tuesdays with Dorie! So glad you decided to join. Your rugelach look so perfect!
Anonymous said…
Your raspberry rugalach are so different and clever! I would love to try raspberry over chocolate, or, can I have both? :)

Popular Posts