Pot Roast


I've never made pot roast before so I decided to cheat and buy one that was already seasoned. The man at the store that was giving samples away of this pot roast gave me a great tip. He said to cook the roast with some orange juice. I thought it sounded a little weird but decided to try it. I am so glad that I did try it. It turned out really well. So my first attempt at pot roast turned out pretty successful...........even if I did cheat a little.

Sorry about the lack of pictures for this post but I was trying to do a million things at once so I forgot to take pictures. My memory isn't as good as it used to be. This mid-twenties thing is hitting me hard!



Pot Roast

1 4 pound seasoned pot roast
Orange Juice
2 pounds of potatoes (I used medium sized red potatoes and cut them in half)
1 large onion, cut into large pieces

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a dutch oven on the stove over medium high heat, sear the roast on all sides.


Add enough orange juice so that it comes up about half way up the meat.


Cover the dutch oven and place it in the oven. The roast will take about 3 hours to cook. I was turning the roast about every hour. When the roast is half way done (1 hour 30 minutes into cooking) add the onion. Then cook for another 30 minutes. Add the potatoes and cook for another hour. When the roast is done remove the meat and potatoes from the pot.

If you would like a sauce for the roast you can thicken the remaining liquid in the pan. Just simply place the pot on the stove over medium heat. Allow to boil for a few minutes to let some of the liquid evaporate. Add a mixture of corn starch and water to the liquid to thicken it. (Make sure that all the corn starch is dissolved so that you won't get lumps in your sauce.)

Enjoy!

Comments

Robin said…
Orange Juice? Now that is a cool ingredient. I bet it does taste great! Cool to use the already seasoned ones, I need to try those.
Jennifer said…
Mid twenties thing, OHH I feel so sorry for you, LOL. Great roast I have never thought to use OJ, I will do next time, thanks for sharing!
Anonymous said…
The man in the supermarket in Bellevue, WA is my best friend Chef Allan and he works at the QFC store indown town Bellevue giving away samples of meats that he cooks and telling people how to cook and season them .
Anonymous said…
I was at the Univ. Vge QGC and they had samples of this delicious pot roast. I am 79 and never thought of cooking pot roast with orange juice. Making it right now.

Popular Posts