Lemon Ricotta Muffins



I didn't know what I was going to do with the leftover ricotta that I had from my lasagna. But thankfully I found a recipe for lemon ricotta muffins at Food Gal that sounded really good. I just picked up a bag of lemons at TJ's so this recipe was perfect to help use some of them up.

The muffins turned out really good. I sprinkled them with turbinado sugar instead of regular sugar and I'm glad I did. I loved the extra crunch that it added in addition to the almonds. I will definitely make these again if I have leftover ricotta. They were really easy to put together and I would highly recommend them. If you are worried about them tasting a lot like ricotta, don't worry. The lemon and almond flavors are the most prominent.


Lemon Ricotta Muffins
(Makes 12 muffins)

2 cups AP flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 medium lemon, juice and zest
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 cup sliced almonds, for sprinkling on top
1 tablespoon turbinado sugar, for sprinkling on top

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In a stand mixer, combine the sugar, butter and lemon zest until light and fluffy.


Then beat in the egg, lemon juice, ricotta and almond extract.


Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed until just combined. (My mixture was pretty thick, but don't worry it will bake up fine.)


Divide batter into lined muffin tins. Sprinkle the tops with slivered almonds and turbinado sugar.


Bake 15 to 20 minutes until lightly golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.


Cool muffins and enjoy!

Comments

Jennifer said…
Those look delish! I have never had anything quite like that before!
Anonymous said…
I'm glad you liked the muffins. I, too, will be making them a regular addition to my baking lineup. Yum!
Sandy Smith said…
These look and sound wonderful. I bet they're really moist and flavorful, which means they probably freeze well too. I'm looking forward to trying these - thank you for sharing the recipe!
Anonymous said…
These look delicious and simple! I'll definitely be whipping these up sometime soon.
test it comm said…
Those lemon muffins look good. Great tops!
Ingrid_3Bs said…
Yum, I love ricotta cheese and adding it with lemon and almonds to make a muffin sounds right up my alley! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
~ingrid

Popular Posts