Banana Cupcakes with Nutella Buttercream


I've been craving cupcakes. I've seen so many good looking recipes online that I decided to make some myself. This was my first time making cupcakes and frosting from scratch and I think they turned out well. I found a basic vanilla cupcake recipe and vanilla butter cream recipe here and made some changes to get my banana cupcakes and nutella butter cream.

One thing that I did notice about the butter cream was that I didn't really taste the nutella in it. So next time I might just add cocoa power to it. My butter cream turned out a little more soft than I wanted. I think that next time I will leave out some of the milk if I use nutella again. If I just add the cocoa powder then I think that the texture would be better and an adjustment of the milk would be unnecessary.

Banana Cupcakes
By Amy

2 cups cake flour*
1 cup AP Flour
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter cut into 1-inch cubes, room temp
4 large eggs
1 cup whole milk (I used 2%)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 ripe banana's, mashed

*To make your own cake flour simply mix one cup AP flour minus 2 tablespoons with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch.

Preheat Oven to 325 degrees

Spray cupcake pans with cooking spray. (I used a large muffin pan and got 12 cupcakes. It would probably make about 24 regular sized cupcakes.)

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the flours, sugars, baking powder and salt. Mix on low speed until combined. Add butter, mixing just until coated with flour. Consistency will be crumbly.

In a large glass measuring cup whisk together eggs, milk,vanilla and mashed banana's.

With mixer on medium speed, add wet ingredients in 3 parts. Scrape down sides of bowl before each addition. Beat until ingredients are incorporated but do not over beat.

Divide batter evenly among pans, filling about 2/3 full. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until a cake tester comes out clean. About 17 to 20 minutes. (Mine took more than 20 minutes because I used the large cupcake pan.)

Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.

Nutella Butter Cream

2 sticks of softened butter
4 cups sifted confectioner sugar
1/4 cup milk or heavy cream
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1/4 cup nutella
Place the butter into the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix until smooth.
With the mixer on low add the sugar and mix until evenly incorporated. (Make sure to sift the sugar BEFORE you measure it otherwise the frosting will be too sweet.)
Add remaining ingredients and let it mix for about 5 minutes.
Frost the cooled cupcakes and then enjoy!

Comments

Deborah said…
Those are the same plates I grew up with!!

And these cupcakes sound delicious. Too bad you couldn't taste the nutella, but I bet they were still great!

Popular Posts